SoDA GMM 2014 (Barcelona)
by Natalie Smith, SoDA / August 14, 2014
Over 100 SoDA members, partners and advisors recently came together for our annual Global Member Meeting (GMM) at an impressive venue, El Principal, in the heart of Barcelona, for two days of learning, open knowledge sharing and relationship building. This year marked the 7th gathering of members and the first time the meeting was held in Europe. Members traveled from Asia, Africa, Australia, Latin America, North America and all across Europe to be there.
Part of what makes the GMM so unique is the fact that our members define the meeting’s agenda through their suggestions. Based on their interests, passions and business needs, members split into working groups and covered over 50 topics (suggested and voted upon solely by them) during breakout sessions over the course of two days. Members shared knowledge and best practices with their peers across a wide range of tracks, including: finance, communications, organizational structures, digital marketing, entrepreneurship, staffing, advocacy, business strategy, product development, management, marketing, business development, operations, talent and many more. Attendees also had the opportunity to dialogue with thought leaders from Adobe and Microsoft who discussed innovations that will transform our industry in the months and years to come. Additionally, members participated in 1:1 peer-to-peer mentoring and engaged with SoDA’s distinguished team of advisors who cover a broad spectrum of business topics, including M&A (Phil Palazzo), Legal (Brad Gross, John Haggis, Rick Kurnit and Greg Boyd), Business Strategy (Steve Wages), Agile Practices (Jack Skeels) and Financial Management (Jeff Mikes).
New members and veteran members alike once again found tremendous value in attending. Here’s what a few of them had to say about the experience.
– “Such a valuable meeting with old and new members worldwide. SoDA is growing into something very special!” – Anders Wahlquist, CEO, B-Reel (Stockholm, London, NYC, LA, Berlin, Barcelona)
– “I found the entire thing to be extremely well-organized and chock- full of exactly the kind of open dialogue SoDA is all about.” – Brian Lemond, new member and Partner at Brooklyn United (NYC)
– “Another fantastic GMM this year! It is incredibly useful to meet with peers around the world and discuss what works and what doesn’t when it comes to running a digital agency in 2014.” – Kath Blackham, Managing Director, Deepend (Melbourne, Australia)
– “So extremely useful and inspiring!” – Irina Kuznetsova, Co-Founder, 2Nova (St. Petersburg, Russia)
– “Just like last year we were so inspired that we spent our evenings in the hotel drawing charts and writing our thoughts and visions on paper.” Dennis van Vugt, Partner at Born05 (Utrecht, Netherlands)
– “Thanks to everyone for your continued commitment to ‘raising the tide’ for the industry. Fantastic GMM!” – Drew Ungvarsky, CEO, Grow (Norfolk, VA, USA)
– “As a first-time attendee, I was truly amazed by the openness and valuable insights shared by all SoDA members.” – Hafiz Juma, General Manager, AIM Group (Dar-es-Salaam, Tanzania)
SoDA would like to thank our entire Operations team for their collective work in making the event such a huge success. We’d also like to recognize our organizational and event sponsors for their support: Adobe (SoDA’s Founding Organizational Sponsor), Microsoft, PALAZZO, Frankfurt Kurnit, AgencyAgile and Sheridans.